Sunday, May 15, 2011

Letting the cat out

So now that all the paperwork is in and done, I can say what's been going on for the past few months.

In March, after much thought, we started Hassaan on the most minimal dose of Adderall that he can be on.  The changes, as the teacher that filled out his secondary Connor's Scale report stated, are amazing.  Because his normal classroom teacher has been on sick leave for the last two months, his Junior Kindergarten teacher, who got Hassaan at his most challenging last year, we in for a few weeks as the supply teacher.  She filled out the new, post-meds, Connor's Scale and Hassaan's scores went from 3s and 4s to 0s and 1s. Alhamdulillah that it's working and Hassaan's now able to be a full, co-operative, participant in his classroom.  His supply teachers have told other teachers (including my mother) that he's been so good and co-operative.  Two words never applied to Hassaan in the last year and a half.  I'm not a pusher of medication.  In fact, it took a lot of thought and prayer before Abdullah and I agreed on medication.  And I do believe in working together with the paediatrician and psychologist.  However, unfortunately, until my workplace contract is settled and my benefits are actually in stone (or as stone as they are going to be) to cover the rather expensive psychologist.

Rage episodes in the evenings have all but stopped.  His teachers say that the other kids are now choosing to play with Hassaan rather than ignoring him altogether.  Hassaan, however, still pretty much ignores them, but his behaviour no longer pushes them away.

As his mom, I'm not entirely thrilled he's on medication. But I am happy that, for at least the time being, Hassaan's life has gotten just a bit easier and the real Hassaan has the chance to shine through :)

1 comment:

  1. I know from first hand experience how hard that decision is. I'm glad that it's working!

    ReplyDelete